Brendan B. Read | July 22, 2009 - Senior Contributing Editor
Offering solutions that provide strong security, cost-effectiveness, and flexibility in this era of data theft and economic challenges are paying off for Proofpoint, which provides unified e-mail security, e-mail archiving and data loss prevention products.
The firm reports that revenue for the second quarter of 2009 (Q2 2009) reached record levels, representing sixth straight year (24 quarters) of increasing quarterly revenue. Strong enterprise adoption of the company's Software-as-a-Service (SaaS (News - Alert)) offerings, increasing conversions from competitors, international business growth and strong performance by OEM and channel partners contributed to the record-breaking quarter.
The Q2 2009 highlights include:
* Proofpoint won key financial services and healthcare industry customers away from Google’s (News - Alert) Postini SaaS e-mail security service. These enterprise customers selected Proofpoint ENTERPRISE for its superior effectiveness, security, reporting and control over enforcement of complex e-mail security policies. The company also continued to replace incumbent appliance-based solutions from McAfee (CipherTrust/Secure Computing), Cisco (News - Alert) (IronPort) and Trend Micro
* A leading cable network provider selected Proofpoint's virtual appliance to protect nearly 20,000 mailboxes from spam, viruses and rising connection volumes, replacing incumbent solutions from multiple vendors including Cisco
* One of the U.S.'s top 10 corporate and retail banks selected Proofpoint to protect more than 25,000 mailboxes, replacing an incumbent SaaS e-mail security solution
Proofpoint also continued its outstanding customer satisfaction and retention record in Q2. Key customers, including well-known financial services, healthcare, food and beverage, education, high-tech manufacturing, telecommunications and retail brands, renewed subscriptions to Proofpoint services or added additional services to current Proofpoint deployments.
During the quarter, Proofpoint expanded its SaaS e-mail security and compliance solutions, introducing its Proofpoint on Demand(TM) suite of offerings at the RSA (News - Alert) 2009 exhibition, including:
* Proofpoint ENTERPRISE(TM): Enterprise-class SaaS e-mail security and data loss prevention. Completely isolated instances assure each customer of maximum control, configurability and data security
* Proofpoint PROTECT(TM): Cost-effective SaaS e-mail security that delivers anti-spam and anti-virus protection with zero-administration and 'lights out' operation
* Proofpoint SHIELD(TM): Cloud-based connection management and front-line spam protection for any e-mail security appliance eliminates the risks associated with unpredictable e-mail traffic spikes, rising spam volumes and targeted attacks
* Proofpoint MONITOR(TM): Remote management services and technology for Proofpoint appliances
Additionally, the company announced an enhanced version of its on-demand e-mail archiving solution, Proofpoint ARCHIVE(TM) (http://www.proofpoint.com/emailarchiving). Proofpoint ARCHIVE makes it easy for organizations to securely archive e-mail and solve the storage management, legal discovery and regulatory compliance challenges associated with e-mail retention. The new version introduced features for faster and easier eDiscovery, workflow enhancements, improved support for historical e-mail, enhanced end user search capabilities and support for Instant Message (IM) archiving.
Growth in international markets continued strong in Q2 as Proofpoint's Latin American region reported record business during the quarter. The company closed its largest-ever Latin American transaction with a branch of the Brazilian government that selected Proofpoint to protect all of its email users from spam, viruses and other inbound e-mail threats.
Strong performance from Proofpoint's archiving and e-mail security OEM partners including Microsoft, Symantec and F-Secure contributed to both new and renewal business during the quarter. Proofpoint's partnership with Blue Coat (News - Alert) Systems, Inc. (http://www.bluecoat.com) continued to pay dividends with the sales and marketing cooperation playing a role in several key deals during the quarter. The companies continued to take bundled offerings -- which allow enterprises to defend against both e-mail- and web-based malware attacks -- to market through their respective global channels while sharing research and data about emerging Internet threats.
“Proofpoint's SaaS business more than doubled over Q2 2008 and continues to be the fastest growing part of our business,” says Gary Steele, CEO of Proofpoint. “During this time of shrinking IT budgets, more and more enterprises, universities and government organizations are looking to simplify their security infrastructures, consolidate functionality and reduce costs. SaaS solutions like Proofpoint ENTERPRISE and Proofpoint ARCHIVE have proven to achieve those goals in record time.”
Brendan B. Read is TMCnet’s Senior Contributing Editor. To read more of Brendan’s articles, please visit his columnist page.
Edited by Tim Gray
|| By Brendan B. Read
comments powered by