BRIEF: Legionnaires exposure reported at Dania school
Dec 12, 2012 (Sun Sentinel - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
Parents of students at Olsen Middle School in Dania Beach were being informed on Tuesday that their children may have been exposed to someone diagnosed with Legionnaires Disease, Broward School District officials said.
The person with Legionnaires Disease was not a student, district spokeswoman Nadine Drew said.
In an effort to take every safety precaution, the school district provided bottled water for students and staff.
Automated 'robo-calls' were made to the telephones of Olsen Middle School parents that explained how the district was working with the Broward Health Department and school staff and that they were taking every precaution to ensure that the school remained a safe learning environment for students and staff.
Legionnaires Disease is transmitted when someone inhales a mist or vapor that has been contaminated with the bacteria. It is not spread from person to person through contact, officials said.
The symptoms include high fever, chills, coughing, muscle aches and headaches. Families are advised to take their child to their doctor immediately if their child exhibits any of these symptoms.
Concerned parents were also advised to call Olsen Middle School with any questions.
___ (c)2012 the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) Visit the Sun Sentinel
(Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com Distributed by MCT Information
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]