Edited copy of Modesto ambush report may be released
MODESTO, Jan 31, 2013 (The Modesto Bee - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
Stanislaus County's top lawyer on Thursday afternoon said he may release a redacted copy of an investigation in the deadly April ambush of a deputy sheriff and a locksmith, but would not say when.
"We're trying to do our best to assist the sheriff in meeting his intended obligation and promise," said County Counsel John Doering.
He referred to Sheriff Adam Christianson's pledge, repeated since May, to publicly share results of the independent probe.
Outside law enforcement experts from Southern California are being paid up to $60,000 to evaluate the April 12 shootings at a fourplex on Modesto's Chrysler Drive.
Homeowner Jim Ferrario fired an assault rifle from inside the unit he was about to lose in foreclosure, killing deputy Bob Paris, 53, and locksmith Glendon Engert, 35. An ensuing 11-hour standoff ended with the dwelling consumed by flames and the gunman's suicide.
Christianson's plan to unveil the report this week was pre-emptively blocked Tuesday by Doering, who blamed a wrongful death lawsuit filed last week by the locksmith's widow.
"I'm reviewing (the report) right now to make sure any materials that are not appropriate for release are either redacted or omitted," Doering said today. Such information might include information that violates the Police Officers Bill of Rights, he said.
The report also covers the December 2011 death of crime scene technician Mary Donahou, who was struck by a vehicle while investigating a Hughson shooting.
___ (c)2013 The Modesto Bee (Modesto, Calif.) Visit The Modesto Bee (Modesto,
Calif.) at www.modbee.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]