Emergency situations do not discriminate against age; they come at your door without knocking. Usually, when a person is upset, anxious or stressed it is easy to make a mistake or forget what to do in an emergency situation. However, if a person practices what is to be done in such emergency situations in advance and utilizes the E911 hosted solutions available, it becomes easy to deal with these 911 situations.
In order to help civilians, a support unit has been set up called “Enhanced 911.” The support service helps people in emergency situations using E911 hosted solutions. When someone calls in to the 911 center, the details of the caller including name, address and phone number is displayed on the computer screen. These details at the call center are used to provide ambulance, police or fire services to the locations as early as possible. It is advised that everyone should save the emergency number in their mobile’s list of quick-dial numbers.
Fire Safety Education Specialist, Rita Smith, educates on how and when to call 911 during emergencies. She has given some tips that can be useful during a crisis.
- Speak as clearly and calmly as possible in a loud voice. Tell them: Your problem, Your Name and Your address.
- Stay on the phone. Don’t hang up until the operator tells you to do so.
- Follow all the instructions from the emergency services operator.
- Remember, if your emergency is a fire, gas leak or intruder, leave the house before calling for help if you can do it safely on your own.
It is a possibility that a person may not be able to communicate, so the emergency center can utilized E911 hosted solutions technology to find the person. In order to help the emergency workers, just keep the following information near your phone and in your wallet or purse:
- The name, prescription number and purpose of each of your medications
- Any known allergies
- Doctor’s name and phone
- Social Security number
- Health insurance company and policy number
- Contact information for family members, friends, etc. (Include home and work numbers.)
Recently TMC (News - Alert) reported, 911 ETC, Inc., a provider of E911 hosted solutions for the enterprise and SMB markets, revealed, Jan. 20, a strategic partnership with Carousel Industries of North America, a provider of design, delivery and support technology such as unified communications, VoIP, videoconferencing, etc. The joint venture is to focus on providing enterprises with E911 hosted solution services for PBX (News - Alert) and IP-PBX.
Sujata Garud is a TMCnet freelancer with three years of writing/editing experience and two years of market research experience. As an editor she has covered the IT, electronics, banking, pharma, construction, mining and healthcare industries. To see more of her articles, please visit her columnist page.
Edited by Jaclyn Allard