SUBSCRIBE TO TMCnet
TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community
Ethernet Extender - ADC and Albany Tel Expand Customer Bandwidth in Minnesota
More Ethernet Extender Featured Stories



December 10, 2008

ADC and Albany Tel Expand Customer Bandwidth in Minnesota

TMCnet Contributor


 
ADC, a global connectivity solution provider has partnered with central Minnesota-based Albany Tel for a five-year fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) project. Under the agreement, ADC’s (News - Alert) Professional Services team will upgrade Albany Tel’s copper lines to a fiber network that can support advanced bandwidth-intensive services for its 3,800 subscribers.

 
According to company’s officials, only 15 percent of the cooperative’s network consists of fiber lines, with copper accounting for the other 85 percent.
 
Incorporated as Albany Mutual Telephone in March, 1951, the cooperative currently operates the three Minnesota exchanges of Albany (845), Freeport (836), and New Munich (837). Upon completion of this project, Albany Tel’s subscribers will have access to all-digital offerings like Internet Protocol TV (IPTV (News - Alert)) and high-definition TV, as well as high-speed Internet up to 100 Mbps.
 
Tom Eveslage, network operations manager for Albany Tel said that ADC was chosen due to their high quality of products and customer care. ADC’s skilled technicians can help with all phases of the cooperative’s network upgrades. Eveslage also appreciates the fact that ADC equipment takes less space in the central office, but leaves enough room for growth. He finds this feature to be important as they move toward more fiber and less copper.
 
Albany Tel is using an active-Ethernet architecture to deploy greenfield fiber networks over existing copper lines and this is expected to offer customers speeds ten times faster than Albany Tel's current 10 Mbps broadband offerings.
 
Pat Thompson, director of core connectivity solutions for ADC noted that the cooperative’s decision to use both their central office and outside-plant gear for their five-year fiber rollout validates their commitment to flexible and future-proof fiber solutions that grow with their customers.
 
“Our customers repeatedly trust ADC to deliver products and the expertise to install and maintain fiber deployments, no matter how advanced their fiber plans may be,” he added.
 
Earlier this month, Safaricom, a telecommunications company in Kenya picked ADC’s InterReach Fusion solutions to provide in-building wireless coverage at over 40 sites in Kenya.
 
Don't forget to check out TMCnet’s White Paper Library, which provides a selection of in-depth information on relevant topics affecting the IP Communications industry. The library offers white papers, case studies and other documents which are free to registered users

Anuradha Shukla is a contributing editor for TMCnet. To read more of Anuradha’s article, please visit her columnist page.

Edited by Tim Gray
 

 
More Ethernet Extender Featured Stories
 



Popular Articles






Technology Marketing Corporation

800 Connecticut Ave, 1st Floor East, Norwalk, CT 06854 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments: tmc@tmcnet.com.
Comments about this site: webmaster@tmcnet.com.

STAY CURRENT YOUR WAY

© 2014 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy