|[February 08, 2013]
Saudi Prince Files a $25 Million Lawsuit Against the City of Los Angeles for Illegally Blocking Construction of His Family Residential Estate in Benedict Canyon, Announces JMBM
LOS ANGELES --(Business Wire)--
On February 5, 2013, Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell (JMBM) filed a
lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court (Case
# BS141623) against the City of Los Angeles on behalf of Tower Lane
Properties LLP whose beneficial owner is Saudi prince Abdul-Aziz ibn
Abdul-Aziz al Saud, the current Deputy Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia.
The lawsuit seeks a writ of mandate to compel the city to issue the
building permits and damages in the amount of $25 million caused by the
city's allegedly illegal and discriminatory conduct.
According to the complaint, the city has engaged in continuous efforts
to block the project. In 2012,the city refused to apply its grading
permit rules to the Tower Lane project in the same manner it had been
applied to other projects for the past 40 years. In so doing, the city
attempted to force Tower Lane to undergo a long and extensive process
never before applied to other similarly situated projects. Tower Lane
sued and prevailed in Tower
Lane Properties, Inc. v. City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles Superior Court
Case No.BS137339. According to JMBM lawyer Benjamin M. Reznik, the
city has now manufactured new illegal obstacles to the issuance of the
building permits thereby necessitating the filing of this lawsuit.
"Our client had hoped that following last year's victory in court the
city would treat his application fairly and process it without further
delay. Needless to say, he is greatly disappointed and disheartened by
the overt discriminatory treatment he has received," said Reznik. "We
are compelled to file this lawsuit because without judicial intervention
this illegal conduct will continue unchecked," he said.
In 2009 the prince purchased three separate but adjoining legal parcels
on Tower Lane in the Benedict Canyon neighborhood. Since the mid-1920's,
these properties housed the estate of famous Hollywood film director and
producer King W. Vidor. The current plans call for a single family
residence on each of the three parcels and are designed in strict
conformance with the city building and zoning codes.
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]