SUBSCRIBE TO TMCnet
TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community

CHANNEL BY TOPICS


QUICK LINKS




Backup My Info Helps SMBs with Quicker Restores of Critical Data

TMCnews Featured Article


October 29, 2010

Backup My Info Helps SMBs with Quicker Restores of Critical Data

By Rajani Baburajan, TMCnet Contributor


Backup My Info! (BUMI), a provider of managed online backup and recovery solutions for small to mid-sized businesses, announced that it is helping small and medium businesses (SMBs) realize quicker restores and significant cost savings.


According to BUMI, as much as 90 percent of a typical organization's data is no longer active, while the remaining 10 percent is dynamic and thus considered business-critical. In order to get their critical data back, organizations need to adopt a streamlined approach, company officials said. The remaining data can be restored in a phased approach.

“Explosive data growth is driving SMBs toward cloud-based data backup services,” said Deni Connor, principal analyst at Storage Strategies NOW, in a statement. “Without a strategic backup and restore plan in place, data infrastructures can be impacted by all types of data loss scenarios.”

Because of the severe implications of data loss, organizations should take a closer look at their IT operations, and like BUMI's '10 percent' findings, identify the business-critical components to ensure they are in the best position for a speedy recovery, Connor added.

BUMI develops a data retention strategy that will immediately restore the highest priority data. The critical changing data, or 10 percent, is backed up to BUMI's online vault as well as in a local location on the clients' network, and can be restored quickly.

Data that is not highly dynamic, or data that does not require immediate recovery, is kept on the BUMI retention vaults utilizing lower cost storage. In case the customer requires a large amount of data to be restored, BUMI ships this data overnight in encrypted and compressed format on a USB hard drive which can then be restored rapidly at no charge to the client, company officials said.

As a standard practice, a BUMI engineer will be remotely connected to assist in all recovery procedures and they are available 24 hours a day for emergency support, they added.

“By providing our customers with a customized recovery strategy on top of solid, secure backups, BUMI is able to satisfy clients' objectives,” said Jennifer Walzer, CEO at Backup My Info!, in a statement. “These objectives include the management of exponential growth in companies' critical data, as well as reduce the backup window which can be crucial for businesses that need 24 hour uptime.”

BUMI supports all major operating systems. The company has built several layers of security into its online backup solution. Data is encrypted at the point it leaves a customer site and remains encrypted at all times.

As an additional safety measure, BUMI's senior engineers continuously monitor backup processes to ensure customer data is properly safeguarded and proactively follow up if they identify any errors or problems.

In September, BUMI announced the expansion of operating system and application support for its fully-managed service. The new version of the agentless backup solution enables organizations to cope up with the growth of business-critical data deployed across several applications and complex, multi-platform network environments, according to company officials.


Rajani Baburajan is a contributing editor for TMCnet. To read more of Rajani's articles, please visit her columnist page.

Edited by Jaclyn Allard







Technology Marketing Corporation

35 Nutmeg Drive Suite 340, Trumbull, Connecticut 06611 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments: tmc@tmcnet.com.
Comments about this site: webmaster@tmcnet.com.

STAY CURRENT YOUR WAY

© 2017 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy