Some accusations against former Georgian Defense Minister withdrawn [Trend News Agency, Baku, Azerbaijan]
(Trend News Agency (Azerbaijan) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Jan. 09--TBILISI, Georgia -- The Georgian Chief Prosecutor's Office has refrained from prosecuting former defense minister Irakli Okruashvili on three more charges.
In particular, the office rejected previous accusations of criminal negligence, abuse of official duties and misappropriation of a portion of Geocell Telecommunications Company.
Representative of the Georgian Chief Prosecutor's Office, Teimuraz Mikaberidze said at a press-conference today that necessary evidence on the charges was not collected. And witnessed denied previously given testimony.
"They said that they gave testimony as a result of the previous authorities' pressure," Mikaberidze said.
Mikaberidze said that one can say that evidence in all three cases was fabricated. It was "political pressure" against Okruashvili.
The prosecutor also stressed that the appeals process on a case of misappropriating a portion of Geocell will be held on January 10. The prosecutor's office will formally withdraw the charge, and the appellate court must make a verdict of acquittal. According to the allegations, Okruashvili was sentenced to 11 years in prison in 2007.
Mikaberidze said that Okruashvili remains a "hostage of the court", as the prosecutor's office claimed to release him on bail, but the court did not grant this claim.
The prosecutor's office said that at present, two cases -- organizing illegal armed groups and illegal acquisition of 63 million cartridges are being considered against Okruashvili.
Do you have any feedback Contact our journalist at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tags: Georgia, Geocell, Irakli Okruashvili, Teimuraz Mikaberidze
(c)2013 Trend News Agency (Baku, Azerbaijan)
Visit Trend News Agency (Baku, Azerbaijan) at en.trend.az
Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]