New Castle eighth-grader charged with making 'kill list' of students and teachers [The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review]
(Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) March 15--A 13-year-old New Castle boy has been charged with making terroristic threats for creating a "kill list" of schoolmates and teachers, police said.
The eighth-grader at New Castle Junior/Senior High School, who wasn't identified, was writing on a tablet computer in school on March 8 when a classmate saw the list and told other students, police Chief Robert Salem said Friday.
Interim District Superintendent Stanley Magusiak could not immediately be reached for comment. New Castle Junior/Senior High School officials referred comment to the police.
School administrators and a school resource officer began investigating the next day but the list had been erased, Salem said.
The tablet's manufacturer was contacted to retrieve the information, and Salem said the recovered information was received on Wednesday and revealed the names of nine students and two teachers.
"We're looking into each person on there and why they were on the list," Salem said. He said authorities don't know why the student targeted those people.
The student was charged Thursday as a juvenile with 11 counts of making terroristic threats.
"We believe this was an isolated incident with this student alone but we're interviewing the juvenile involved. He is talking to us," Salem said.
The boy is undergoing mental health evaluation, he said. In May, the boy was charged with criminal mischief for breaking windows at local pizza shop, Salem said.
Tory N. Parrish is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-5662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
(c)2013 The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Greensburg, Pa.)
Visit The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Greensburg, Pa.) at www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib
Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]