AfDB Approves a Results Measurement Framework to Better Achieve Its Development Goals
(Targeted News Service Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) TUNIS, Tunisia, Jan. 8 -- The African Development Bank issued the following news release:
The African Development Bank (AfDB) Board of Directors, on Wednesday, January 8 in Tunis, approved the Institution's Results Measurement Framework (RMF) for the period 2013-2016. The RMF is a corporate management tool that will help the institution meet its development goals.
The document is framed around 100 performance indicators organized into four interconnected levels, namely: Development progress in Africa (Level 1); AfDB's contribution to development in Africa (Level 2); the Bank's operational performance (Level 3); and its organizational efficiency (Level 4).
Presenting the document, Simon Mizrahi, Director of the Bank's Department for Quality and Results, said that "the Results Measurement Framework is not an end in itself: It is a development tool for the Bank to achieve its objectives." The RMF brings together evidence of the AfDB's strengths and weaknesses, so that it can take appropriate actions to better implement its Ten Year Strategy for 2013-2022. As a management tool, the RMF will increase attention to five critical areas:
- Strategic focus. The AfDB's Ten Year Strategy has identified two overarching goals: inclusive growth and the transition to green growth. At Level 1, a better set of indicators improves the way the AfDB measures Africa's progress towards achieving these two goals. And at Level 2, the Bank's contributions towards achieving those goals are captured across five operational priorities: infrastructure development, regional integration, private sector development, skills and technology, and governance and accountability.
- Better assessing the Bank's development impact. To address this challenge, the RMF puts additional emphasis on intermediate outcomes rather than outputs. It also helps to improve the AfDB's understanding of development impact by articulating the linkages between the activities and their impact.
- Stronger focus on gender. The RMF includes robust gender indicators to track progress in areas of special importance to the AfDB's strategic goal of inclusive growth, in addition to better integration of gender dimensions into project design.
- Delivering better value for money. The RMF puts emphasis on delivering better value for money, which is central to the Bank's development mandate. This means ensuring that every dollar the AfDB invests delivers the greatest value for its clients.
- Ambitious targets that stretch the Bank's performance. The RMF has set standards of performance for the AfDB's operations (Level 3) and organizational efficiency (Level 4). Annual targets will help measure progress and prompt timely corrective actions.
In approving the RMF, the Board members expressed satisfaction, saying that it strengthens the result measurement culture in the AfDB. For his part, AfDB President Donald Kaberuka stated that the Bank "should now make the Results Measurement Framework a practical tool and learn as we move forward."
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140109-30FurigayJane-4594252 30FurigayJane
(c) 2014 Targeted News Service
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]