UT says Deion Bonner won't face charges
Nov 09, 2012 (The Knoxville News-Sentinel - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
No charges will be brought against Tennessee freshman cornerback Deion Bonner in connection with a cellphone theft on campus last week.
The case will drop to inactive status, UT spokesperson Margie Nichols said Thursday, and the alleged victim in the case does not wish to pursue charges.
Nichols said she didn't know the circumstances under which Bonner was listed as a suspect in the original police report. The 21-year-old victim called police Oct. 31 to report that her phone was stolen from the Health, Physical Education and Recreation Building on Andy Holt Avenue.
Bonner, 19, from Columbus Ga., has played in six games this season. He dressed out but did not play last week against Troy.
Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said Monday that he had no evidence that Bonner did anything wrong and that Bonner would remain on the team in good standing unless new information came to light.
In April of 2011, Bonner and two teammates from Carver High School were arrested by University of Georgia police for stealing iPods and iPhones from the lockers of seven Georgia football players during a recruiting visit.
Bonner, an all-state player who was rated a four-star prospect by Rivals.com and a three-star prospect by 247Sports, saw his recruiting stock plummet after the arrest.
Last week, after several media outlets reported that he was a suspect in the cellphone theft, Bonner tweeted, "Crazy crazy world that we live in."
Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at www.Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat
___ (c)2012 the Knoxville News-Sentinel (Knoxville, Tenn.) Visit the Knoxville
News-Sentinel (Knoxville, Tenn.) at www.knoxnews.com Distributed by MCT
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]