115 to lose jobs at Wright-Patt with program cancellation
Nov 09, 2012 (Dayton Daily News - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
The cancellation of a computer modernization program will cost 115 people their jobs at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the Air Force said Thursday.
An additional 55 civilian and military base employees will be reassigned from the Expeditionary Combat Support System project.
The Air Force concluded the program is no longer viable, a statement said. "Therefore, we are cancelling the program and moving forward with other options in order to meet both requirements," it said, adding that the Air Force "will be better served by developing an entirely new strategy."
Earlier this year, the Dayton Daily News reported that the problems in the computer modernization project, on which the government had already spent nearly $1 billion, put it at risk.
Computer Sciences Corp., prime contractor on the multi-year project to replace Air Force computers with a new system to improve acquisition and logistics management across the service, acknowledged removing hundreds of employees and contractors from what is known as the Expeditionary Combat Support System project.
Computer Sciences layed off 114 local employees in March, many with an array of information technology skills needed for the Air Force work.
The Air Force job cuts are related to those working on the military end of the project, said spokesman Daryl Meyer.
The Dayton Daily News first reported on problems with the Air Force's computer modernization project in 2011 and how it put it at risk although the government had already spent nearly $1 billion on it.
___ (c)2012 the Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio) Visit the Dayton Daily News
(Dayton, Ohio) at www.daytondailynews.com Distributed by MCT Information
[ Back To Technology News's Homepage ]