TelCoa Publishes 'Top Ten Reasons to Telework'
July 17, 2009
The Telework Coalition (TelCoa), a Washington, D.C. based telework education and advocacy organization, has released a list of top ten reasons to have employees work from home.
For the Employer and the Economy:
1. Improve the ability to recruit and retain skilled labor for enhanced productivity, creativity, and higher quality work from anywhere in the U.S.
2. Provide the necessary competitive advantage and the ability to win in an increasingly regionalized/globalized economy by repatriating many of the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have been sent offshore
3. Reduce real estate, facilities, and other overhead expenses
For the Employee:
4. Increase work/life balance, become self reliant, reduce stress, realize the opportunity to participate in local activities, and further one’s education
5. Retain a larger percentage of earnings for a higher quality of life
6. Provide hope and economic opportunity, especially in hard-hit rural areas for all workers and expand these opportunities to include:
(a) Military-service disabled veterans and others with disabilities
(b) Older workers who desire to remain in or need to reenter the workforce due to reduced retirement funds caused by the current economic conditions, and for part-time employment reducing reliance on costly publically funded benefit programs
For the Environment and within Communities:
7. Lower carbon footprints, greenhouse gas emissions, and improved air quality
8. Reduce dependence on foreign energy, especially petroleum products
9. Have fewer traffic accidents, less congestion, and reduce the need for maintaining costly transportation infrastructures
10. Decrease the impact from disruptive occurrences. These range from terrorist attacks, natural incidents such as severe weather conditions, pandemics, transit strikes, and bridge collapses to everyday situations such as family needs, traffic congestion, and car trouble, through the use of a widely dispersed workforce
“We are often simply asked ‘why telework?’ and these are the reasons why it is being done and why more of it should be done,” explains TelCoa President and CEO Chuck Wilsker (News - Alert), in a release. “The bonus in adopting this new way of working is that when an organization starts it, regardless which of these interests them, they realize all of the benefits as do employees and society in general.”
Brendan B. Read is TMCnet’s Senior Contributing Editor. To read more of Brendan’s articles, please visit his columnist page.
Edited by Patrick Barnard
Article comments powered by