TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community



Log from deadly pipeline blast show worker concern

Associated Press Featured Article

March 08, 2011

Log from deadly pipeline blast show worker concern

By Associated Press ,

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Minutes before eight people died in a fiery pipeline explosion, California utility crews raced to stop gas pressure surges they feared would cause a "major, major problem," call logs released by the federal government show.

Operators knew as long as half an hour before the Sept. 9 blast in a San Francisco suburb that a botched repair job in a nearby control station was letting natural gas flow unabated, but felt powerless to fix the problem remotely, according to Pacific Gas & Electric Co. records.

"Something opened that shouldn't have," one unnamed gas control operator told a colleague 20 minutes before the explosion. "They're scrambling in Milpitas right now trying to figure out what the hell opened and what's going on."

The utility did not immediately provide comment Tuesday.

The National Transportation Safety Board is still investigating what caused the explosion, which employees called a "living nightmare" later that night.

Eight people died, dozens were injured and 55 homes were left uninhabitable after a giant, gas–fueled fireball swallowed portions of a neighborhood in San Bruno.

News organizations have been sifting through more than 4,000 pages of documents released by the NTSB last week during hearings in Washington.

Quoting from some of the call logs, the San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday first reported details of the chaotic scene that evening as workers tried to pinpoint what was causing the problem on its high–pressure transmission lines running through numerous bedroom communities.

"We're screwed, we're screwed," another operator whose name was unclear in the log told a co–worker in the Milpitas control station, which lost power after crews tried to repair equipment, the logs showed.

Federal investigators have said the power failure at the control station, a major intersection for gas transmission lines about 30 miles from the blast site, allowed a regulating valve on the line feeding San Bruno to open fully and for pressure to rise.

But at 6:40 p.m., nearly half an hour after the explosion, workers were still debating whether a plane had hit, a gas station had blown up or the tragedy had been caused by a pipeline accident.

The section of pipe that ruptured was installed in 1956. An NTSB examination after the accident revealed it had a seam and inferior welds, although PG&E (News - Alert) records had inaccurately identified the pipe as being seamless, which is considered safer.

Quoting from another document, The San Jose Mercury News reported Tuesday that PG&E decided 20 years ago against digging up the segment that later ruptured because the utility insisted its welds did not pose a risk to the public. Utility crews replaced five miles of aging gas pipes nearby but stopped just short of the spot that ruptured and exploded last year.

In January, however, federal investigators said they found dozens of defects and cracks in the welds holding together segments of the pipe.

View All Associated Press Articles
Featured White Papers

Technology Marketing Corporation

35 Nutmeg Drive Suite 340, Trumbull, Connecticut 06611 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments:
Comments about this site:


© 2018 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy