There are many reasons for parents to be concerned about their children. On the one hand, there is a lot going on in the world today, which is something that has made parents more conscience about the safety and wellbeing of their children. On the other hand you have parents that want their children to be free and run around and enjoy themselves.
Both of these circumstances have the same end result being that all parents want their kids to be safe. This is an area for which wearable technology is well suited. In fact, over the past year we have seen several startups running Indiegogo and Kickstarter campaigns to produce devices that will give parents piece of mind.
This week, at the annual CES (News - Alert) show in Las Vegas, SAFE Family Wearables launched the SAFE Kids Paxie Band. In addition to the fact that this is a device that kids can wear to help keep them safe, it is also fashionable enough to remain on their wrist and not find its way to the back of the locker at school.
Founder of SAFE Family Wearables, Merle Lee Freeman, has made it her mission to provide parents with a little peace of mind, which you can see from her statement, "Day after day, we hear stories of tragic accidents happening to children, often occurring while they are away from their parents. My mission in creating this wearable was to come up with a device that would be fashionable and fun for children while allowing their parents to keep a pulse on their safety while they are apart. The Paxie band also tracks activity to encourage healthy and active lifestyles."
The device’s name is derived from the Latin word for peace which is pax. It is easy enough for parents to know what their children are doing when they are home, however, it is a completely different story when the parents are at work and the kids are at school. It is with this in mind that the wrist band is designed to alert parents to a variety of potential dangers. This is accomplished through a mobile app that runs on both Android (News - Alert) and iOS devices.
Some of the features of the SAFE Kids Paxie Band include the following:
- GPS and boundary setting - users can check the location of their child at any time via the Safe Mobile App or online dashboard and will receive a notification when the child leaves a pre-set boundary
- Ambient (News - Alert) temperature -- with cases of children suffering from heatstroke or infants/toddlers accidentally left behind in cars making the news each year, the SAFE Kids Paxie band notifies the parent if the temperature around the band becomes excessively high or low
- Heart Rate - the band monitors the wearer's heart rate for sudden spikes associated with allergic reactions or panic attacks
- Activity Tracking - tracks steps to encourage active lifestyles and exercise
- Interchangeable, water-resistant bands - fashionistas aged 18 months to 12 years will be able to select from a variety of colors and patterns
- Extended battery life - the battery life is an impressive 36 hours and can be charged via a micro-USB cable
- Mobile Management - parents can track their kids via a mobile application available for Android and iOS as well as through an online dashboard
The band itself is very flexible in that it comes in several sizes with children between the ages of 18 month to 12 years in mind. As of January 4, 2015, the SAFE Kids Paxie Band is available for preorder. Units will begin shipping sometime in May of this year. The devices will cost $175 and will include 2 Fashion bands, a charger, a USB cable and 3 months data service, after which data charges will run $9.99 per month.
Edited by Maurice Nagle
Wearable Tech World Home