Earlier this year, Avaya released its road map for customers and prospects following its acquisition of the former Nortel (News - Alert) enterprise solutions. Since then it has been building out its new highway.
Avaya has now cut the ribbon on the first stretch with a suite of new and enhanced contact center and unified communications “UC” product innovations and services based on the Avaya Aura platform. It has also announced when other new sections will be opening.
Akin to when new roads are opened, Avaya’s offering promise firms to reach their objectives quicker, with less hassle and expense. It says its releases, “redefine the economics and effectiveness of real-time, multi-media enterprise communications.” It estimates that Avaya Aura can save large enterprises approximately 23 percent in capital expenditures and another 33 percent in operating expenditures, according to a recent survey conducted it; mid-sized enterprises typically save even more. For example, by following Avaya’s route firms can communications-enable their business applications “up to 80 percent faster than by using traditional methods.”
These new tools and services, says Avaya, “make it possible to simultaneously accelerate decision-making and achieve meaningful financial impact, while moving enterprises towards a more people-centric approach to collaboration.”
These solutions include:
* Avaya Aura Contact Center, which is a new multimedia contact center application that extends to all types of media, including voice, e-mail, web chat, and instant messaging/SMS
* Avaya Agile (News - Alert) Communications Environment (ACE) facilitates the development of communications-enabled business applications to speed business workflow. Avaya ACE 2.2 includes Event Response Manager, a new packaged application that automatically notifies the right people with the right skills to respond to and manage unexpected events, such as inventory shortages and security breaches. A new developer toolkit makes it easier to embed timely and personalized communications into business applications
* Avaya Aura Conferencing, now available in Standard Edition, provides rich audio, video and Web conferencing features on a single server that reduces management and power requirements. The Enterprise Edition, available later this year, will expand capacity and features to enable internal operator assistance, emergency blast dialing and more. Both editions integrate with UC applications from Avaya, Microsoft (News - Alert), IBM and Adobe
* Avaya Aura Messaging provides rich multimedia messaging with choices for accessing and storing messages. The first release of this Linux-based solution is specifically designed to enable Octel users to easily migrate to the new platform by maintaining the familiar user interface while delivering new features such as speech-to-text and speech-based virtual assistants
* Avaya Aura Presence Services offers an open standards-based, native instant messaging solution with federated presence and IM across Microsoft, IBM (News - Alert), Avaya one-X Communicator and Avaya one-X Agent and Avaya 9600 SIP phones
* Avaya Aura Session Manager 6.0 now scales to over 100,000 users, including 50,000 SIP phones and video capable endpoints
* Avaya Aura Communication Manager 6.0 can now be deployed as an Evolution server for easy migration of mixed H.323/TDM endpoints to SIP environments or a full SIP-based voice and video feature server
* Avaya Aura Session Border Controller (SBC) allows enterprises to securely connect real time, SIP-based unified communications to the rapidly growing number of IP-based devices, smart phones and applications both within and external to a company. The SBC protects a customer’s network and connected devices from attacks such as denial of service, spoofing attacks, “man in the middle,” or access through unused VoIP ports
* Avaya Aura System Manager 6.0 provides for a common management system across Avaya Aura that now extends to Presence Services, Conferencing and Messaging, making it easier to administer and manage Avaya Aura components from one central location
* Avaya Aura System Platform 6.0, Avaya’s virtualization technology, now encompasses all elements of the Avaya Aura architecture and applications portfolio, eliminating up to 80 percent of hardware compared to competitive solutions while reducing management, power requirements and costs
* Avaya 9600 family of desk phones now offer larger, color touch screen displays at a lower price point, function on lower power and provide a low total cost of ownership (TCO). A new value-priced SIP model, the Avaya 1603SW-I, provides a low-cost option for small- to large sized businesses
The company also issues a new release of Avaya Communications Server 1000 (CS1000), which increases scalability, adds support for the IPv6 protocol and enhances SIP support and connectivity. The continued investment in Avaya CS1000 it says “provides installed customers with a smooth migration path into Avaya Aura and supports many of the just-announced applications.”
Many of these new products and enhancements are as a result from the Nortel purchase including the CS 1000 and the ACE. The Avaya Aura Contact Center is a new Avaya product that leverages a blend of technologies from pre-integration Avaya and Nortel.
More than 200 individual beta trials and or full implementations of Avaya solutions announced today are already underway. All Avaya solutions announced today are available now or will be available during the third quarter of 2010 through Avaya or authorized Avaya Connect Channel Partners.
The new and expanded products are supported by Avaya Advisory Services, which provide consulting expertise for multi-vendor communications infrastructures and Avaya’s broad ecosystem of developer and channel partners. New to the Avaya Advisory Services is a Self-Funded Roadmap to help companies transform cost savings from prior technology deployments into process improvements to fund future technology investments.
Avaya Aura applications and architecture are complemented by Avaya’s recently announced data networking solutions and network management products, which it says offer up to 50 percent less TCO than the leading competitor, and are specifically built to handle the demands of real-time communications. Designed from the ground up to optimize video, mobile and voice interactions, Avaya’s fit-for-purpose, enterprise communications and data solutions deliver peak performance, efficiency and resiliency with a smaller footprint that reduces the cost and energy requirements of converging communications networks.
“In today’s evolving business communications environment, companies demand the right technology approach to ensure superior experiences for employees and the customers they serve,” said Kevin Kennedy (News - Alert), president and CEO of Avaya. “Avaya’s latest series of innovations accomplishes this through faster, more efficient orchestration of people and information. Making smart business decisions quickly can be difficult, but connecting the right people to solve issues in real-time should be both simple and cost-effective.”Brendan B. Read is TMCnet’s Senior Contributing Editor. To read more of Brendan’s articles, please visit his columnist page.
Edited by Stefania Viscusi