By proactively managing bandwidth allocation by department and by protocol, organizations can determine exactly how much of each protocol is able to flow into each department over an access line. This significantly reduces the cost of acquiring additional bandwidth to improve the network’s performance.
Bandwidth Management enables departments to specify their bandwidth requirements per network protocol, which equates to higher efficiency, greater flexibility and cost management.
Your financial department may require 20% of your total bandwidth resources. Within that 20%, they may specify that 40% should be reserved for e-mail (SMTP protocol), 30% for Internet traffic (HTTP
protocol) and the remaining 30% should be allocated to 'Default' (any unspecified protocols).
This model allows less critical applications to be serviced, but at more realistic rates. This guarantees that no single application is able to dominate your Internet link.
Every department is able to specify which protocol they would like to burst, if any. Following on from the previous example, if SMTP is only using 25% of the 40% bandwidth allocated to it, while HTTP is running at its full capacity (30%), you can specify that HTTP is allowed to burst into the unused 15% of the SMTP capacity. Should the SMTP capacity need to increase then the space available for HTTP will decrease accordingly.
Brian Solomon is a Web Editor for TMCnet, covering news in the IP communications, call center and customer relationship management industries. To see more of his articles, please visit Brian Solomon’s columnist page.
Don't forget to check out TMCnet’s White Paper Library, which provides a selection of in-depth information on relevant topics affecting the IP Communications industry. The library offers white papers, case studies and other documents which are free to registered users.